Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
1.2kg beef rump roast
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ tbsp tomato paste
2/3 cup salt-reduced beef stock
1 brown onion, thinly sliced
200g brown mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup sour cream
Microwave basmati rice, baby rocket leaves, sliced pickles, parsley leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180° fan-forced). Rub beef with oil and sprinkle with paprika. Season. Place beef on a rack over a large roasting tin and cook in oven for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and stock. Add onions and mushrooms. Season and stir to combine. Remove beef from oven. Reduce heat to 180°C (160° fan-forced). Pour mushroom sauce into base of roasting tin. Return to oven and cook beef for a further 20-25 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- Transfer beef to a plate. Cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Add sour cream to mushrooms in pan and stir to combine. Season.
- Thinly slice beef. Serve with mushroom sauce, rice, rocket leaves, pickles and parsley.
- Beef eye fillet, scotch fillet or topside would also work well in this recipe.
- Beef rump or topside could also be thinly sliced into strips, pan-fried and tossed in sauce for a classic beef stroganoff.
- Pasta, mashed potato or polenta would also be great side dishes.