Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 10 minutes
600 g beef rump
300 g peeled pumpkin, cut into bite size pieces
300 g broccoli, cut into florets
2 tsp oil
4 green shallots, chopped
1 medium red capsicum, sliced
2 cups sweet and sour stir-fry sauce
noodles or rice to serve
- Cut the beef across the grain into thin strips. Add a little oil and mix well. Steam or microwave the pumpkin pieces and broccoli until just tender.
- Heat the wok, ensure it is hot. Stir-fry the beef strips in 3 batches, reserving each cooked batch to rest in a warm bowl. Reheat wok between each batch.
- Reheat the wok, add oil and heat. Add the shallots and capsicum, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the cooked pumpkin, broccoli and sweet and sour sauce, stir-fry until sauce is hot. Return the beef to the wok, toss to combine. Serve with noodles or rice.
- Best beef cuts for stir-frying: Use beef stir-fry strips or prepare your own from rib eye/scotch fillet/tenderloin, sirloin/porterhouse/New York, rump, boneless blade, round, oyster blade or topside steaks.
- Cook meat in small batches, at a maximum of 250g at a time. When you add the meat to the wok, work from the outer side of the wok into the centre where it will be hottest.
- When stir-frying meat wait at least 30 seconds before tossing or stir-frying so meat has a chance to sear and become brown. This gives the meat great colour and flavour.