Corned beef provides a hearty winter meal but also makes delicious cold meat for slicing in warmer weather.
- 1.5kg Corned beef silverside (Eye round) from Jack Purcell Meats
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 Fresh bay leaves
- 10 Whole black peppercorns
- Extra Oil
1. Place corned beef, brown sugar, white wine vinegar, fresh bay leaves and peppercorns in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water.
2. Bring slowly to a gentle simmer. Simmer gently over low heat for 2-3 hours until beef is tender.*
3. Remove beef from pan and carve against the grain to serve.
* Recipe note: Add vegetables to pan during the last hour of cooking. Try whole baby potatoes, baby carrots and thick wedges of cabbage.
- Serve with steamed vegetables.