Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 2 hours 30 minutes
750 g chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
400 g can tomatoes
310 g can corn kernels, drained
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry, thawed
green beans to serve
- Cut beef into 2.5cm-3cm cubes. Season with salt and pepper, and add about 2 tbsp of oil, mix well. Heat a deep, heavy-based pot over a medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 2 or 3 batches. Remove each batch and set aside.
- Reduce heat in pot and add a little oil, add the onion and garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes, stir occasionally. Add tomatoes, corn and Worcestershire sauce, stirring to combine.
- Return beef to the pot. Partially cover, keep the heat low.
- Simmer until the meat is very tender. Stir occasionally; add water if needed during the cooking time to keep ingredients covered. If consistency needs thickening, once meat is tender simmer with the lid off until reduced (about 10-15 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Transfer beef and corn contents to an ovenproof casserole dish, cover with pastry, pinching edges to make a frill. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve with green beans.