Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 8 minutes
500 g lean beef mince
2 tsp oil
1 medium carrot, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 cm piece ginger, peeled, grated
425 g can baby corn, drained, cut into thin rounds
2 tbsp oyster sauce
¾ cup beef stock or water
2 tsp cornflour
150 g bean sprouts, tails removed
a handful of coriander, roughly chopped
chilled iceberg lettuce leaves to serve
- Place beef mince in a bowl and mix in a little oil. Heat the wok, ensure it is hot. Crumble in half of the mince. Stir-fry until mince is well browned. Remove first batch, reheat wok and cook remaining mince and then remove.
- Reheat the wok, add the oil, heat oil and add the carrot, garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the corn, stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Return the mince to the wok, toss for 1 minute. Push the mince mixture out to the side. Pour in the combined oyster sauce, stock and cornflour, stir as it comes to the boil.
- Stir to mix the sauce with the mince mixture. Add the bean sprouts and coriander, toss to combine. Spoon mince into serving bowl.
- Serve with chilled lettuce leaves.
- Tip: Cook the mince in batches, at a maximum of about 250g at a time. Crumble the mince into the wok, add it from the outside of the wok to the centre where it will be hottest.
- Tip: Cook the mince until any liquid (water and fat) has evaporated, the mince can now begin to brown. Keep a check on it, as it will begin to cook fairly quickly at this stage. Keep it moving so that it browns evenly but does not dry out.