Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
500 g beef minces
1 small leek, trimmed and finely diced
400 g can Madras-style curry sauce
1 cup beef stock or water
½ cup currants or chopped dried dates
2 tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp chopped mint
2 tbsp chopped coriander
1 eggplant, sliced thinly lengthwise
2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
50 g butter, melted
- Place mince in a bowl and mix in a little oil. Heat a large pan, ensure it is moderately hot. Crumble in half of the mince. Brown the mince, breaking up any lumps with a fork. Remove first batch, reheat pan, cook remaining mince and then remove it.
- Reduce heat, add leek to pan, cook until it is soft. Return mince and add the curry sauce and stock.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the currants or dates, tomatoes, mint and coriander.
- Brush eggplant slices with oil and pan-fry until just brown. Place large spoonfuls of mixture onto each aubergine slice and roll up. Place the tomato slices in the base of the lasagne-style dish and top with the aubergine rolls. Brush liberally with melted butter. Bake at 200°C for 30 minutes until the aubergines have softened and the tomatoes are soft and juicy.
- Crumble the mince into the pan or wok. Add it from the outside of the wok to the centre where it will be hottest. Let this first side of the mince brown lightly before using a fork or spatula to break up the larger pieces