Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 45 minutes
600 g lean rump steak
2 tbsp wholemeal flour
1 pinch nutmeg
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
375 ml salt-reduced beef stock
½ cup dry white wine
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
200 ml tub extra light sour cream
steamed basmati rice and steamed vegetables including green beans, carrots and cauliflower
- Slice the beef across the grain into thin strips. Combine the flour and nutmeg and use mixture to lightly dust beef strips. Brush the beef strips with the oil.
- Preheat a large frypan to moderately-hot. Keep the heat at moderately-high. Cook the beef in 3 batches. Cook the first side until the first sign of moisture appears on the uncooked side, turn and cook other side of beef strips. Remove each batch and set it aside.
- Add the onion to frypan and cook until soft. Add the beef stock, wine and tomato paste, stir to combine and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, return the beef to the pan and simmer for about 45 minutes or until beef is tender. In the last 15 minutes add the mushrooms and sour cream. Serve beef stroganoff with steamed basmati rice and steamed vegetables including green beans, carrots and cauliflower.
- When cooking beef strips cook the first side until the first sign of moisture appears on the uncooked side, then turn and cook the other side to complete the cooking. This way the beef strips will brown well, and the meat will be tender.
- Best beef cuts for stir-frying: Use beef stir-fry strips or prepare your own from rib eye/scotch fillet/tenderloin, sirloin/porterhouse/New York, rump, boneless blade, round, oyster blade or topside steaks.