Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
400g Jack Purcell beef mince
400 g jar of tomato pasta sauce
½ cup water
2 tbsp fruit chutney
2 cups self raising flour
½ cup grated pizza cheese
¾ cup milk
1 tbsp oil
extra 3/4 cup grated pizza cheese
- Place beef mince in a bowl and mix in a little oil. Heat a large frypan, ensure it is hot. Crumble in half of the mince. Brown the mince, breaking up any lumps with a fork. Remove first batch, reheat pan and cook remaining mince. Return first batch of mince to frypan.
- Add the tomato pasta sauce, water and chutney. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. The mince mixture should be fairly thick. Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the cheese, and stir in combined milk and oil. Mix to a soft dough. Knead dough lightly on a floured surface.
- All dough out to form a rectangle about 1cm thick. Spread with the cooled beef mince mixture. Sprinkle mince with the extra grated pizza cheese. Roll up from one of the long sides.
- Cut into 2.5cm pieces. Place each piece, facing cut-side up a on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- As the mince cooks, break up lumps with a fork. Let this first side of the mince sear lightly before using a fork to break up the larger pieces. As it cooks, tilt the pan slightly and spoon away the liquid – this helps brown the mince. Using a moderately-high heat will also help any water to evaporate.