Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 3 hours 30 minutes
2½ kg lamb breast ribs
300 ml white wine
250 ml salt-reduced beef stock
2½ tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp Mexican chilli powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp smokey paprika
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 cup instant polenta
375 ml skim milk
50 g butter
50 g Gruyere cheese, finely grated
steamed peas and broccoli, to serve
- In a bowl, combine dry rub ingredients and mix together. Place lamb ribs in the bowl and massage dry rub into the meat. Cover with cling film and marinate for 30 minutes or preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Place into a heavy-based casserole dish and cover with wine, stock, 2 tbsp maple syrup, garlic, onion . Add water until ribs are nearly covered. Cover with foil tightly and the lid, and cook for 3hrs 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and change oven to grill at 200°C. Break up rib racks into 2-3 bones and place into a roasting dish or baking tray without braising liquid. Brush ribs with remaining maple syrup, and place under the grill for 20 minutes until crisp.
- Meanwhile make polenta according to packet and add cheese, and butter.
- Serve ribs on top of polenta with steamed spinach, and broccoli.
- Substitute parmesan or any harder cheese for the Gruyere.
- Braise the lamb the day before, cool and store covered in a non–reactive container in the fridge. Place into a 180°C oven uncovered until heated through and crisp to serve.